Join the YDI Team!
The Youth Development Institute (YDI) advances the positive development of young people by promoting the principles and practices that enable them to thrive.
Our vision is that young people in New York City will receive high quality services, supports and opportunities that foster their assets, build healthy community connections, strengthen their skills and competencies, and prepares them to participate in the creation of a more equitable world.
YDI has led the field in promoting Positive Youth Development in New York City for 25 years by developing innovative program models, serving as a technical assistance provider to numerous City initiatives, supporting organizations to bolster their youth development programming, and providing organizational development support.
The Youth Development Institute is hiring 1-2 full-time Lead Trainers and Consultants and seeking talent for a pool of Experienced and Emerging Consultants.
Lead Trainer and Consultant (FT)
Provide capacity building support, including training and on-site technical assistance to YDI's clients including both fee-for-service, government and foundation contracts. Develop and implement new training modules and curricula; conduct research on promising practices and create resource materials to disseminate to staff at youth serving organizations; act as a thought partner to other YDI staff and clients; and collaborate around development of new initiatives and capacity building strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Training and Curriculum Development
- Develop broad based and customized training strategies for a range of youth serving organizations
- Design and refine training modules and curricula
- Facilitate training and conduct on-site coaching for clients
Organizational Consultation and Technical Assistance
- Collaborate with City Agencies, funders and CBO organizational leadership to develop work scope, benchmarks, deliverables and indicators of success for proposed projects
- Identify implementation issues for contract sites and devise opportunities and resources to promote successful resolution and build sustainable practice
- Provide on-site consultation to direct service providers on youth development program design and implementation.
- Develop modules and menus of services for clients
- Work with contract sites to develop outcome-based plans
- Plan and facilitate network meetings in support of practice communities
Internal Practice Development
- Document project activities and learning
- Actively review and share useful research and practice information
- Participate in meetings and public presentations as a representative of YDI
- Participate and contribute to staff development activities
- Provide input to improve YDI culture and operations
- Positively contribute to a creative, supportive, productive work culture.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience providing training, coaching and program or organizational development technical assistance.
- Deep understanding of positive youth development.
- Experience in and strong understanding of the following focus areas a plus: Education, workforce, foster care, youth leadership, immigration, racial equity and social justice.
- Interest in impacting public and private sector efforts to help youth achieve positive outcomes.
- Strong experience in facilitation and adult learning methods.
- Direct service experience working with youth preferred
- Minimum BA
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative and manage a variety of tasks with a high level of accuracy
Experienced and Emerging Consultants
Youth Development Institute consultants will bring expertise to organizations to help them improve staff practices, program design, and quality management of youth centered programs. Our need for consultants stretches across a variety of areas, including program design, professional development and training, management, strategy, leadership, tools and resource development and curriculum development.
The projects you are involved in and the tasks you are given depend on the area you are working on, but general responsibilities include:
- conducting research, surveys and interviews to gain understanding of the organization
- analyzing data
- detecting issues and investigating ways to resolve them
- assessing the pros and cons of possible strategies
- compiling and presenting information orally, visually and in writing
- making recommendations for improvement, using computer models to test them and presenting findings to client
- implementing agreed solutions
- developing and implementing new procedures or training.
Qualifications and training required
YDI seeks two types of consultants for our pool:
o Experienced/Established consultants—Independent consultants who do consulting full -time and/or have worked as consultants for 5 or more years.
o Emerging consultants—these are seasoned practitioners who are interested in exploring the capacity-building field. This is a wonderful opportunity to bring your lived knowledge and experience to other youth work professionals. No need to quit your full-time job in direct service! Emerging consultants will be paired with a YDI staff member to provide services such as training, meeting facilitation, on-site coaching, or program re-design.
Key skills for consultants
· Ability to work independently
· Analytical skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Tact and persuasive ability
· IT skills
· Good oral and written communication skills
· Foreign language abilities can also be useful.
All consultants (Experienced and Emerging) will be required to attend a quarterly Consultants Institute to connect you with our organization, support your consulting, to be grounded in our framework and consulting approach.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and “Lead Trainer”, "Emerging Consultant" or “Experienced Consultant” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the positions are filled.